Menu

Blog Entry #1 - Studying Abroad

Hello!

My name is Debora Daniela Wendland Amorim. I am from Brazil and I also am an exchange student at SUNY Oswego (Oswego, USA). Making the decision of studying abroad was really hard for me. I needed to choose between graduate last year (2014) and study one year and six months abroad and postpone my graduation in two years. Studying abroad, understanding new cultures and meeting people from all around the world was an ancient dream of mine. And so, the opportunity came out and I submitted my application, but I had been struggling with these two ideas during months. It was in the summer break (Dec 2013 - Mar 2014) that I realized that another opportunity like this one will not show in front of me again, so soon. I could graduate when I come back. But another to study abroad with everything paid... Who knows?

Ok, now I was decided. On the other hand, I was not feeling prepared for it. I am majoring Physics, and had been a long time since I had coursed my English classes (from 8 to 13 years-old, and I was 20). By all these years, I had learned a good English, but I could not remember a lot of things. I arrived here, in USA, for learning English at first. After 4 months of only English classes, I feel much more confident than I was before. Now, I need to face more 2 semesters of academic classes. I had had a lot of concerns last semester about it. And if I am not able to understand the professors? And if I fail on the courses? And if the courses be so difficult? And if.. And if... I had a lot of and ifs.  I chose five courses and one lab to do this semester, thinking that I will drop the most difficult. But after this first week of classes, I decided that I will not drop anyone of my classes. I know that some of them will be hard, and a couple of others will be laborious. In the end, I know, everything will be fine.

The most challenging thing in Oswego: the snow.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Debora -- Your blog looks awesome! I loved reading your blog post. I am glad to hear that you feel more confident about your English and your classes this semester. I think you're going to do great! Glad to have you in class again this semester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Debora!
    Your blog looks wonderful and I would appreciate if you could tell me how did you do that.
    I know you are a good student and I think you have just be cool. As you said, in the everything will be okay and I hope we will celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Debora! I also got confident in English than before. I want you to have a wonderful on this semester. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard work pays off, and if you are working as hard as you said you are, you will be fine this semester and the coming semester too, wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am Naeun! nice to meet you :) It is awesome that you have a confidence with English. Could you give some tips? I want to learn English more. So.. I hope you do well in this semester and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debora. You finished this assignment quite early, so I could read it first ! I understand that you must have gone through many hardships about the decision. Right? Sometimes we just confront some forked roads which are very difficult to decide where to go. But I wanna say that you decided right decision. Although your graduation delayed, at least you will not regret about what you didn't do in your future. DO what you really want to do, then beautiful fruits will wait for you at the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debora, nice to meet you. I have some friends from Brazil in Oswego, so I feel more close to you. Also I really want to visit Brazil one day in my life. Have a nice weekend and see you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand that it was pretty hard for you to make a decision because I also postpone my graduation for applying for this exchange program. But I think this experience certainly worth postponing a graduation !

    ReplyDelete